Magnesium is the master mineral of the body and, as such, is a vital nutrient for regulating many body processes, including muscle and nerve function, blood sugar levels, and blood pressure. This mineral also supports the making of protein, bone, and DNA. Magnesium glycinate is the magnesium salt of glycine, an amino acid, and is the supplement most often taken to increase magnesium levels in the body. Magnesium Gycinate has many health benefits such as:
- High blood pressure or heart disease: Magnesium supplements can help decrease blood pressure.
- Type 2 diabetes: Consuming high amounts of magnesium in the diet might reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. Magnesium helps to break down sugars and might decrease insulin resistance.
- Osteoporosis: Magnesium plays a role in the development of healthy bones, and people with higher levels of magnesium might have a higher bone mineral density. This is important in helping reduce the risk of bone fractures and osteoporosis.
- Migraine headaches: People who experience migraines sometimes have low levels of magnesium in their blood and tissues. Supplements may help reduce the frequency of migraines.
- Depression: Serotonin is a “feel-good” chemical in the brain. Insufficient levels of magnesium seem to reduce serotonin levels, and antidepressants can raise levels of brain magnesium.